Is there a way to bulk change contact External IDs in Everbridge?
No. External IDs are unique identifiers that separate contacts from one another. If the External IDs for contacts are changed in bulk through a CSV upload file, they will not be updated in the organization. New contacts will be created instead.
The only method to update a contact's External ID is individually with the steps below:
- Log in to the Manager Portal and select the desired organization from the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on the Contacts tab.
- Click on the pencil icon next to the desired contact's name.
- Enter the new External ID in the corresponding text box.
- Click Save.
Alternatively if External IDs need to be changed in bulk, Everbridge recommends the following workaround:
- Download all of the organization's contacts. See knowledge base article 000004392 - How to Download All the Contacts in an Everbridge Organization Into a Spreadsheet
- Upload the file using the Delete function to remove all contacts.
- Update the same file with the new External IDs and save it.
- Upload the updated file to the organization using the Update function.
This recreates contacts in the organization with the updated External IDs.