How to add contacts to groups via an upload file in Everbridge Suite.
Specific syntax is required when uploading contacts so that contacts are not accidentally removed from groups. This article explains how to safely upload contacts without removing existing group associations whether you are adding contacts to new groups, removing contacts from existing groups or leaving their group associations unchanged.
There are four key points regarding group maintenance to keep in mind when preparing CSV files for contact uploads:
- The following fields are required when uploading contacts:
- First Name.
- Last Name.
- External ID.
- Record Type.
- END (not always required, but always recommended).
- Uploading any Groups field with a blank value will remove the data for that contact. For example, including the Groups header in an an upload file but leaving one cell empty will remove any group associations for that contact. If all the cells in that column are empty, then an upload file will remove all group associations from all contacts. If you are not managing groups in the upload file, do not include the Groups header in the upload file. If you are managing groups in the upload file, see the next key points.
- When using the Update function for uploading contacts, add contacts to groups and preserve existing group associations by adding an asterisk in that column. For example:
- Adding contacts to groups with no previous group associations:
- Any contacts not currently in any groups can be added to a new group by adding that group name in the Groups field.
- Any contacts not currently in any groups can be added to multiple groups by entering each group name with a pipe character between each group name. For example, to add a contact to Groups A, B and C add the following to the Groups cell: A|B|C
- Adding contacts to group with existing group associations:
- Any contacts that should retain their existing groups and not be added to any new groups should have an asterisk * in the Groups cell.
- Any contacts that should retain their existing groups and be added to a new group should have an asterisk * in the Groups cell followed by the pipe | symbol followed by the name of the new group. For example, to add a contact to the the "Managers" group while retaining that contact's association with their other groups add the following to the Groups cell: *|Managers. The pipe character is used as a separator to specify that the contact will be added to a new group.
- Any contacts that should retain their existing groups and be added to multiple new groups should have an asterisk * in the Groups cell followed by the pipe | symbol followed by each new group with a pipe character between each group name. For example, to add a contact to Groups A, B and C while retaining their association with other groups add the following to the Groups cell: *|A|B|C.
- Removing contacts from groups:
- To remove contacts from some group associations and/or add them to other groups, specify all groups the contact should belong to with a pipe character between each group name. For example, if a contact belongs to groups J, K, L and you want to remove them from group K and add them to group Z, add the following to the Groups cell: J|L|Z. This will remove them from group K, add them to group Z and retain all their other group associations.
- To remove contacts from all group associations, leave the Groups cell blank for those contacts.
- When using the Replace function to upload contacts, the asterisk feature will not be available. Specify all groups a contact will belong to with a pipe character between each group name. For example: Managers|Operators|Contractors.
For more information on preserving existing contact information when uploading contacts via an upload file, see Knowledge Base Article 000008854 - How to Ensure Information Is Preserved (Not Deleted or Removed) When Uploading Contacts to Everbridge Suite via a CSV File.
To learn how to create groups by uploading a CSV file, please see the Knowledge Base article: .