How to send a clickable link to a map to contacts when launching incident notifications.
The Location: Geo Point variable can be used to include a clickable link directing contacts to Google Maps in an incident notification.
To create this clickable link for contacts to receive in an incident notification, follow the steps below:
- Log in to the Manager Portal and select the appropriate organization from the upper right-hand corner.
- Select Incidents from the top menu bar.
- Select Templates from the drop-down menu.
- Select the pencil icon next to the appropriate incident template.
- Under PREVIEW & EDIT, select the Outgoing Message tab.
- Create the link by entering http://maps.google.com/maps?q= in the body of the message.
- Click to place the cursor immediately after "=", and then select the plus icon to the left of the Location: Geo Point variable.
- Complete the rest of the template as needed and select Save in the upper right hand corner.
When the incident is launched, contacts will receive the message and can select the link to redirect them to a pinpoint on Google Maps.
NOTE: If the Location: Geo Point variable is not on the list of variables for your incident template, you will need to create that specific variable. Please see Knowledge Base Article 000059117 - How to Create a Location: Geo Point Variable for Use in Incident Communications for instructions and information on how to create the Location: Geo Point variable.