How to configure Visual Command Center (VCC) to alert contacts in the area for a tornado warning or other impactful event.
It depends on how your organization operates. If you have a centralized Global Security Operations Center (GSOC) that analyzes and accesses risk events before notifying employees, you will want to configure your templates differently than organizations that do not have a GSOC team. Here are some general best practices based on these two use cases.
For organizations that do have a GSOC team
- On your VCC templates, add the variable VCC!: Add EB Contacts in Area. This will pull in any contacts within the alert radius of an alert and send them a notification through whatever modalities (e.g., phone, SMS, or email) you have selected.
- Check permissions on your template to make sure the role that will be sending notifications through VCC has Edit access. Otherwise, contacts will not be pulled in when sending a manual Incident Communication (IC) from VCC.
For organizations that do not have a GSOC team
- You can leverage the Send to Contacts in Area option in VCC. You do not need to add VCC!: Add EB Contacts in Area to your IC templates for automated alerts from VCC.
- Here are the steps to configure Send to Contacts in Area in VCC:
- Logon to VCC as an Org Admin
- Select the hamburger menu on the top far right and select Admin Console
- From the Admin Console select Alert Settings, then select the category (e.g., Weather Events U.S.)
- Set what you want to be alerted on (e.g., Tornado warnings and watches)
- Select the template you want use under Auto Incident, then select Send to Contacts in Area
- You will receive a message from the platform alerting you that you are selecting to alert all contacts in the area for an alert
- Click Save once your changes have been completed