The Impact Map, as shown following, geographically displays the area most directly affected by an incident. Depending on your Location Alert Profiles settings (not Region Alert Profiles), it may or may not display information regarding your registered locations. If the incident criteria trigger a Location Alert Profile, then information about the registered location will appear below the Impact Map. An icon for your location will also be displayed on the map.
An icon representing your location may not be visible depending on the map zoom level.
Modifying Impact Map Settings
The Current Options area at the top of the Impact Map, displays the Perimeter, Locations, and Incidents selections that you have made in the Options area just below it. You can use this feature to modify the information displayed on the Impact Map for evaluation purposes.
- Under Options, click the Change link. The Select your map options window is displayed as shown here.
Impact Map options window
- Click on the appropriate radio buttons to select the information you want displayed on your Impact Map:
- Perimeter – define the impact perimeter either By Profiles or By Distance. If set By Distance, specify miles or kilometers in the box provided.
- Locations – show locations By Profiles or All Accessible locations for your organization.
- Incidents – choose the types of Real-time Incidents that you want displayed on the Impact Map. Icons representing incidents occurring at locations outside of your organization will display on the Impact Map.
- Click on the Apply button. Your Impact Map is updated to show you the impact of incidents to your locations as selected.
- Click on Close to return to the Impact Map without making any changes to the Impact Map settings.
Resetting the Default Impact Map
After reviewing the modified Impact Map, the Show Default feature allows you to reset the information to once again focus on the original, default map.
Under Options, click the Show Default link. The map is refreshed to show the Impact Map that was originally displayed.
Map Options and the Preset Map selection will also be returned to the default when the Show Default link is clicked.
The Background feature allows you to select from aerial, aerial with labels or standard road map views.
The zooming feature allows you to view an area from a perspective either closer to, or further from, the incident location. You can select any point between ½ mile and 6000 miles on the Zooming bar. You can also manually navigate the map by clicking anywhere on it and zooming in or out.
- incrementally zoom to within ½ mile of the impact area using the plus sign +
- incrementally zoom out to view an area 6000 miles from the impact area using the minus sign -
Panning the Map Image
The border of the map image includes a directional feature that allows you to easily pan the map image, to position the map where you need it.
You can also click on the map corners to pan the image Northwest, Northeast, Southwest, or Southeast.
This drop-down feature provides a repository for commonly used maps. Upon selecting a map from the list, the Impact Map is refreshed to show the area you have selected.
Members cannot add maps to the Preset Maps feature of the Impact Map. These maps are defined by NC4.
Accessing Additional Information on the Impact Map
The Impact Map screen provides a great deal of additional information to describe the incident impact. The map and additional information are for your use in evaluating specific incidents to assess the potential impact.
Displayed directly to the right of each Impact Map is the specific incident category and type, address information, the source reporting the incident, and the last date/time that information about the incident was updated. In addition, the incident severity level, including a color-coded box for quick reference and the complete incident description are provided.
When the Description requires additional space, click on “(more…)” to open a window with the complete text Description. This window also provides a Clip button to copy this text to your text editor clipboard for use in associated communications.
Below the map in tabular format is information that represents your registered locations belonging to a profile triggered by the associated incident. This information can be sorted by simply clicking on the column headings marked with the ascending/descending sort icons.
- Type shows the type of location (Site, Building, Executive, VIP, Supplier or Multi-Use) listed as an icon.
- Status shows the color-coded status of the location listed.
- Location shows the locations within proximity of the impact area. To access the Update Location screen, click on the Location Name.
- Proximity shows the distance of this incident to the listed location.
- References are only relevant to NC4 Risk Center members with the ISA module.